Saturday, November 8, 2008

You stay classy, San Diego.


Here are all the reasons you have not heard from the Road Trippers since arriving in San Diego:

1. We have two Kayaks as part of our rental with the house here
2. We have three beach cruisers
3. We live 15 steps to the bay
4. We live 1 block from the ocean
5. We have 2 boogie boards
6. It's been 70 degrees plus every day
7. San Diego has a poppin' night life
8. We live down the street from a big coney island type of carnival (think wooden roller coaster)

That's just a brief run down of how wonderful San Diego has been. We've been waking up at about 9am and going to bed before midnight. It's great to have a full morning! Get ready for some Bronzed Babes on Thanksgiving. Bronzed like ya' turkey, I say.

Last Saturday we drove from San Fran to Santa Monica (approx. a 12 hour drive) to spend the night with Allie. BOY OH BOY. I fell in love with Santa Monica (and Allie). She took us to the Main Street where we made friends at a pub and another bar. The next Rauch on our list of Rauch's to see on this road trip me up with us, Mel Rauch. She lives fairly close to Allie and entertained us with a wonderful rendition of a song from Joseph and the Technicolor Dream coat with Mike Rauch. For those Familiar with Friday Night Lights, here is a snippet of my conversation with her:

Me: So, what were you for Halloween?
Mel: Oh, I had a Tim Riggins jersey, so I was him. I wore the jersey and carried a football and a bottle of beer.
Me: THAT'S great. But, why in the world do you have a Tim Riggins jersey?
Mel: I think the question is why don't you have a Riggins jersey.

True, right?

Though it was the day after Halloween, many a character was still in costume. We met Ghostbusters! They quickly became friends and entertained us for a good thirty minutes. The next morning we woke-up and went to an AMAZING farmer's market where I had the best omelet known to man. No kidding. The people at the market were beachy and obama-pride and full of free samples. Next was Venice Beach. Why did no one tell me how much I was going to love Venice Beach? There were performers along the boardwalk and other such boardwalk entertainment. Allie then brought us to her favorite frozen yogurt places (marshmallow yogurt with half gummy bears and half jelly beans was a good choice).

Yesterday morning we woke-up and headed to LA/West Hollywood to see the one and only Shaunna Murphy, three days into her living in LA. Her apartment is a barbie dream house. Everything is Pink -- her roommate has a thing for pink. Pink walls, framed photos of barbies, fuzzy pink rugs, pink curtains, and fake cupcakes all over. all over. We drove to the Elliott Smith Memorial Wall which was great. I've been excited to see that wall for years and years now. It was cool. I didn't realize till afterwards that we should have stayed longer. Anywhoooo, we walked to The Grove which was absurd! Do you know about The Grove? I can't explain it. It's pretty much a blend of Disney World (think main street in magic kingdom) and a mall. It was huge and outdoor and comprised of expensive stores and music playing from somewhere I have yet to figure out. We found a farmer's market, had some lunch (and later dinner) then headed to a live band/club/bar that was having 80's night where we were met again by the lovely Allie.

We woke-up this morning and drove back to San Diego with Allie and Shaunna. They spent the afternoon at the beach with us and kayaks and surf boards. Now we are getting ready to be treated to a dinner made by Allie and then a new area of San Diego to explore and make some friends in.

I've been sick for the past week and a half. Kitty was here and sick, so I may have contracted this illness from her. It's just a cough, but the kind that keeps me up at night (and the other three people who sleep within ten feet of me) and makes me sound like a bear or a dying bird. something. It's not right to have a cold/cough at the beach!

20 days till we are home. Last night we were trying to plan out or last 12 days, days when we will be driving and exploring, and realized it is going to be a long and adventure packed time. Grand Canyon, Dollywood, Vegas, Grace Land and some other possibly less Fabulous places. Stories to come friends.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I dreamt you guys were home last night.


Make my dreams a reality?

nikkie said...

I TOLD YOU YOU'D LOVE VENICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

im excited that other people also love venice. i thought i was the only one. GOOD FOR YOU, LIZZ!