Wednesday, September 17, 2008

bits and pieces from custer, south dakota

We have left denver. and boulder. wished we had way more time in boulder. now, we are camping all week. last night was rocky mountain national park ($40! what a rip off). tomorrow is, I think somewhere in yellowstone. I just realized I don't know where else we are staying all week. exhaustion is setting in, I suppose.

In any case, last night we saw and heard elk bugling all night. It was a really cool sound, something like a moose tryin' to get some. Kim was brave. Sean was cold. we had a rad fire going where we (mainly michael) made some delicious stew/soup and then some traditional Rauch popcorn. In the morning, sean made us some lovely oats and hard boiled eggs.

So, tonight we drove too late to get a camp set-up so we are satying in an econolodge. The team is here. Boys are watching some Man vs. Wild (hopefully learning some tips for us) and Kim is reading Harry Potter.

we're tired. and we've finished all of the gifts in our PB (Patty Bag) and all the cookies in the SRST (steven rauch senior tin). But, Aunt Laurie's Bear Box (tent) kept us warm last night and ....I don't know what else we have names for that I haven't shared yet. Lumos!

more soon, friends, more soon.

6 comments:

Katie said...

I never came back to the Gchat! I apologize. Kim being brave during the elk bulging is a beautiful thing.

Paul Tsikitas said...

Are the mints still intact?!

Any good scrabble games or are you guys too stacked with activities?

Shaunna said...

i kept hearing elk in cwood last night too. fucking elk.

glad to see your men are reading up on some wilderness tips- you never know what could happen out there. mike, watch some 'i shouldn't be alive!'- that may help.

Anonymous said...

http://travel.nytimes.com/2008/09/14/travel/14green-1.html?ref=travel

Worth a glance....

Kitty said...

I'm sorry I haven't read any of the blog yet. I haven't been on the computer since you left. I'm going to read it all now and get really excited. Stay warm!!!!

Henri with an "i" said...

guys im on gchat now. i think. add me! carolynbusa.